Web hosting is a service that is provided to users and companies, so that they can store and distribute images, video, information or any web content on the Internet, using information technology (IT) infrastructure external to the of the contracting party.
Companies like DaoFile that offer this type of service are usually called hosting companies or hosting providers.
These companies offer IT infrastructure to store files, pages, and content with high-speed Internet connections and bandwidth so that they can be distributed on the Internet.
In addition to content dissemination using web servers, Web Hosting has evolved to provide users and companies with mail servers, databases and even applications under the Software as a Service (SaaS) model.
Cloud computing (Cloud Computing) is evolved and managed figures of what was initially just Hosting services.
What is web hosting?
Individual users and companies (small, medium and large) often need to develop web pages and applications for various purposes, marketing, sales, customer service, internal operations, among others.
For an individual or small business, having a direct high-bandwidth Internet connection, or a high-performance server (computer) directly connected to the Internet is very expensive, and may also exceed your true needs.
The web hosting provider offers the service of “hosting” these pages in their own infrastructure of servers and Internet connections, this allows many companies to share the cost of fast Internet connections.
In this way, users and small businesses can store and publish their web pages and applications at a reasonable cost for their size and operations.
The more of these features you select, the more expensive the web hosting plan will be.
Types of web hosting:
The types of web hosting services offered can be:
– Shared accommodation.
– Reseller hosting.
– Virtual Private Server (VPS).
– Dedicated hosting.
– Managed hosting.
– Cloud web hosting.
Managed or unmanaged hosting defines the degree of involvement of the hosting provider, under managed services the provider is responsible for server administration while in unmanaged the provider simply provides the server and delivers its administration to the client.
What are the advantages of web hosting?
Hiring a web hosting service means giving a third-party control of part of your IT infrastructure. However, this has many advantages, such as:
– You share the same storage and bandwidth resources with other companies, which lowers costs for you.
– The provider is in charge of the administration and maintenance of the infrastructure and Internet connection, so in practice, this “is no longer your problem”.
– The provider has expert people and proven effective procedures, which results in the service being of better quality than you could provide with its own infrastructure.
– Your website will be permanently online as providers often have redundancy systems and automated backup procedures.
– Technical support: You have someone to turn to in case of problems with your server or website.
– Security: There is still no complete certainty of the degree of security offered by the web hosting system. As a general rule, we understand that they are facilities that have a greater possibility of security in terms of technical development, maintenance, backup and access to information than any facility.